Tuesday 17 April 2012

Ollie the Dragon - Part 1

Ya know, sometimes, like on a day like today, I start to wonder if somewhere, deep down inside, I really like to make life hard for myself.



I'm thinking the source of all this angst must start in my left knee as it has always given me grief. Particularly when it rains. It most certainly couldn't be my ears. They work fabulously most of the time - except for when I don't want to listen to what you have to say. *Sorry?* What was that you just thought?  You want me to get back on track?  Sorry, must have misheard.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced that little inner-voice on occasion screaming "WHAT *ON EARTH* WERE YOU THINKING?!"  Today is one of those days.  And it is all because of this picture.

Introducing a half finished pastel painting of Ollie the dragon.  Ollie has been created using a combo of pastel pencils, conte pastels and art spectrum pastels on a pastel board.  I actually hand drew Ollie onto the board (using a grid - I'm not *that* good at drawing yet), rather than tracing or projecting him, so I am feeling rather proud of myself.

The thing is, I really need this to be a great picture and I'm not sure if this is going to be good enough.  It is intended to be a birthday present for someone. Someone, in case you see this post, I've written the following brief letter just for you:


Dear Someone,


If I have misjudged you by wrongly assuming you don't visit my blog anymore and you actually see this pastel painting, I'd like to reassure you that I haven't really ruined the surprise, because I'm sure you are aware there are many other Ollie's out there who look *exactly* like your child, like to suck their thumb the same way, and happen to also like wearing an identical dragon outfit whilst lying on a purple pillow.  Just sayin'.    


Love K xo

Still, I think it is too early to say for sure whether this will be a success or a flop.  Stay tuned for the final picture over the next couple of days.  In the meantime.  What do you think?  Like?  Horrified?  Horrified to like?  Do let me know.  Unless you are a spammer.  In that case, no thanks, I'm not interested.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by - see you soon,

Kate
x

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear Kate I think this is a great piece. Without knowing what the little fella looks like in real life, it seems you have captured something about him. A certain look he gets, the thumb sucking, he seems to be doing whilst watching everything that is going on around him. If this was a gift to me I would be chuffed and honoured. A gift that will surely be treasured.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your taking the time to write and your very kind words Jan. I'm so relieved to say that I think that this piece has worked - I really have felt nervous painting it, because it has the real potential to be quite embarrassing if it doesn't work.

    Whilst the final test as to how successful I've been will be in a couple of weeks time when his Mummy opens her present, you make me feel a little less nervous that his she will really like it.

    Have a great day!

    Kate
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!